Tuesday, May 4, 2010

8 things no child should leave home without

Here are 8 things no child should leave home without as listed by Joe McGee.  This is what we started studying in Sunday School this past Sunday.  If you have ever heard Joe McGee you know how fast and funny his speech is.  My slow mind starts burning rubber when I try to keep up with him.  
Here is the list:
1. Self Worth-You are worth something, Jesus paid his Life for you!
2. Vision(know what you want to do)
3. Love of Math(man did I leave home without this one!)
4. Meek (be teachable)
5. Organizational Skills(working hard on Cody with this one!)
6. Communication Skills(again working on this one with all of us!)
7. Character(doing what is right)
8. Sense of Humor(definitely need this one, especially if you have boys!)


Love = Time ( quality time) with your family

My oldest son, Cody, took the test of the Love Languages.  Marvin and I still need to take it, but I think Cody's is Quality Time.  After learning this I can see it in him.  I have started to make it a point no matter what time it is ( he is a night owl) to listen and just sit with him if that is all needed.  It is making a difference, I can tell.  I feel so bad, because I guess I thought since he is getting older and a teenage boy,  that he wouldn't want to spend time with me, but I was wrong.  I have had to grow up and not take it personally when he is moody and doesn't want to talk or be around anyone.  I used to get my feelings hurt, then I thought, Okay, Shari, grow up, your the mom.  I have to try not to nag, because I don't want to drive him away, but be a listening ear and a supportive mom.  Believe me his dad and I and grandma have had our times of griping and it gets overwhelming.  I have been trying to just ease up ( without giving up control) and focus on the positive. 
Now, my youngest, Billy, I would have to guess would be words of affirmation or maybe quality time.  I'm just guessing.  All I have to do is give Billy the "Look" and he crumbles.  Now Cody on the other hand,  we could punish everyday and still have to punish everyday.  
Cody would make Dr. James Dobson, author of the Strong Willed Child, pull his hair out, I'm sure of it!  I think God gave me a break with the second.  Marvin and I have come to the conclusion that God makes teenagers so difficult so it won't be so hard when they leave!! Ha, Ha!  You know it's true!!   
GOD BLESS ALL YOU MOMS OF BOYS!!!  We are a special group!  Able to withstand pounds of mud left in the bathtub, sticky chairs and counters, toys dissected and reassembled(always with parts left over), toys and bikes covered with so much mud that it takes a can of wd-40 to get the chain to work again, sticky kisses and handfuls of those little purple flowers that come up before all the grass starts to grow in the spring(you know the ones I'm talking about).  Those days disappear fast so cherish them when you have them.  


I thank God for my boys, and pray he will give me strength and wisdom.  I Plead the Blood of Jesus over Cody and Billy from crowns of their heads to the soles of their feet, every fiber, cell and tissue cover by Jesus' Precious Blood.  Lord, go with all the moms and help us to handle whatever our boys come up with.  In Jesus Name, Amen.


May God Bless and Keep You and Make His Face to Shine Upon You!!


Until Next Time, 
Shari


                                     


 

No comments:

Post a Comment